Paul Valery, Charles Fourier, & Michael Perelman (was Re: bay guardian interview...)

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sat Jan 13 03:38:16 PST 2001

Well, Doug's marvellous interview met the crucial requirement that I agreed with it all. I'd go on about how he pitched it beautifully, too - only I'm cross with him for not finishing the book. I ordered it months ago, with all kinds of other books, and I'll receive none of 'em till Doug's book is out (can't come at the postage costs otherwise). Shit, there may not even be an Amazon by then ...

So I'm inviting Doug (and Yoshie and Kelley and all the other chronic non-finishers out there) into the phalanstery. Sure, geography prevents the expression of those Fourierist passions with due bodily commitment, but at least we can make a game of the fraught business of finishing books and dissertations. To the first to finish, I selflessly commit that bottle of Scotch Daniel owes me, and woebetide the one who hasn't finished before Barbara Cartland Perelman finishes his next book!

Unityism in competition, I say!

Happy 01 to all, Rob