Paul Valery, Charles Fourier, & Michael Perelman (was Re: bay guardian interview...)

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Sat Jan 13 09:56:11 PST 2001

In hopes of spurring all you laggards to the finish line, I offer the following tale. I hold what I believe is the modern day record for "gradual student" sloth--finished my PhD 14 years after entering grad school in the masters program.

Let's see, finished course work in 3 years--on schedule. Took 3 years to finished comps piecemeal, while I worked (at something then called the Exploratory Project for Economic Alternatives there in Washington, Max, run by Gar Alperovitz and Jeff Faux (never met Jeff)). Took another 3 years to dive into a massive dissertation, using the GI bill (full-time, while taking just enough diss credits (I think 6 a semester) to qualify for full time benefits, but stretch them out over that time). Took another 5 years to finish the D while working at a full-time job. That's 14 years.

It's record not likely to be broken, at least at my school. As I understand it, they've changed the rules. They're enforcing max times for finishing now; you can't do that anymore.

The real reason I finished was the pull of my D. It was on marxian secular crisis theories. So it was unalienated labor, in contrast to much of the other alienated labor I expended. So is your book, Doug, and, I hope, your D Yoshie. That means prospects look good.

My point is similar to Chuck Grimes'. You work, trying to maximize your unalienated/alienated quotient. What seems like an end to something is just another beginning. If you're lucky.

Note To Chuck: The Grundisse was the seven notebooks, later published as a book, that Marx used to write the volumes of Capital, which, of course, were never finished. I'm sure you know that, but it makes your point, doesn't it.

Moral of the story? Doug should find an Engels and keep writing.

RO