the tragedy of sex

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 13 07:48:54 PST 2001

The exiled Trotsky fell in love with Frida Kahlo....One can only wish for a chance to be devastated by such a romantic tragedy. As a parting gift, Kahlo dedicated a self-portrait to Trotsky. In the painting, she holds a small bouquet of flowers in one hand, and in the other a letter inscribed: "For Leon Trotsky with all my love I dedicate this painting on the 7th of November, 1937." (The seventh of November...Trotsky's birthday & the anniversary of the Russian Revolution.) See the picture at <http://parallel.park.uga.edu/~lisaboyd/240G/w98/kahlo.html>?

Yoshie

One time at the Hoover Instition library I spent a very pleasant day reading letters from Bertram Wolfe and Ben Gitow from the 20's on. Got a chuckle at Gitlow telegraphing that the Moscow Gold was on its way to CPUSA HQ. Coded as a transfer of 10,000 pieces of furniture or some such. Jumped to the B. Wolfe boxes from his time in Mexico. A beautiful letter from Kahlo still had traces of her lipstick (and perfume? don't remember any more). Last box I delved into was the papers of Joshua Muravchik from his days in the SPUSA and then SDUSA. The 100 pg. + attack on Michael Harrington in late '72 for McGovernite New Politics and anti-anti-communist tendencies gave me my last chuckle before I left the Hoover for the Palo Alto evening. Keep on meaning to go back since the Sidney Hook papers- and the Jay Lovestone papers must be open by now.

Michael Pugliese