Australian grain boards

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Sat Jan 13 22:55:47 PST 2001

At 01:51 AM 14/01/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>Is there a good defense (and explanation of) the Australian grain boards
>anywhere? And a good explanation of what happened to the New South Wales
>one? I've only seen the critiques, and the critics purport to be entirely
>baffled as to why they are so popular.

I'm confused by your question. I'd like to help (not that grain is my area, I confess we were dairy, but...)

defence? against what/whom? do you mean justification for its existence? popular? in what sense? as in farmers fantasise they will be somehow prolonged by the existence of same? or something else? I don't know that I've ever really understood every significance of Australian Farmers' Federations and their Industrial counterparts, but it would be a good thing to know more about so give me more about what you want to know and I'll try and find the best responses I can -- [feeling a million years from a farm] Catherine