Paul Valery, Charles Fourier, & Michael Perelman

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Jan 13 23:29:16 PST 2001

At 05:33 PM 1/14/01 +1100, Joanna Sheldon wrote:
>And I still dream that I'm scheduled to teach a course that I forget about
>until after the first day (or week, depending on how anxiety-ridden I want
>to be) of class is over. Then I make up all kinds of fantastic excuses to
>present to the students when I show up on the next scheduled
>day...trembling at the thought that no one will be there...
>
>Never actually happened to me, but the thought of having to remember to be
>in a certain room on a certain day at a certain time still gives me the
>mild horrors.
>
>cheers,
>Joanna

wild!! i have never had these dreams about academia. of course, i didn't go to normal school, but i taught plenty and taught under frazzled conditions -- like taking over a course with a weekend to prep, another with two weeks (my first time on my own!) but i haven't had such a dream. i *did* have dreams about not being able to keep up with patrons while waitressing and about punching the cash registers keys with long lines of foot tapping customers staring at me. i have, of course, heard my mentors sitting around sharing such stories. and perhaps i've even heard that they are common to the academic profession.

i am curious, tho. i swear that i've read something about research on for lack of correct term perhaps "occupational-related dreams". i think it may have had something to do with them as an expression of alienation. anyone ever heard of this at all?

kelley