Why the Left Always Loses: What is to Be Done?

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Jan 14 08:57:41 PST 2001

>>Nader's candidacy and the recent anti-globalization protests are certainly
>>meaningful beginnings for creating a kind of operational response to the
>>various problems that plague us.
>
>Ummm... 3% of the vote is a very *bad* showing for a third-party
>candidate in America. Nader wanted to demonstrate the strength of the
>left without throwing the election to Bush. He failed on both
>counts...
>

>Brad DeLong

Considering the media blackout and the lack of funds, the Naderites did a great job, inspired many young people and provided hope that an alternative to the one party state might be achievable. Also, the thuggish tactics of Gore supporters probably intimidated many lefty voters into voting for Gore. I experienced a number of unpleasantries first hand from liberal friends and acquaintances.

The fact that the Democrats put forward a dismal candidate - thereby throwing the election to Bush - can't be blamed on Nader.

Peter