RES: Why the Left Always Loses: What is to Be Done?

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Mon Jan 15 16:34:25 PST 2001

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de Brad DeLong Enviada em: segunda-feira, 15 de janeiro de 2001 21:00 Para: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Assunto: Re: Why the Left Always Loses: What is to Be Done?

This is not a statement about the strength of the Naderite movement. It is a statement about the weakness of the American left when it tries to split off from the Democratic Party...

:-)

Brad DeLong

-A question: -Is the left stronger when it doesn´t try to split from Democratic Party? -I mean, what is the influence the left has inside Democratic Party? -Another comment: -The main left wing party in my country (Brazil), the Worker´s Party, was -founded 18 years ago. In the first election, it maneged to elect only 5 -members to National Congress (in 479 members). Now, it has 50 members, -three state governors and won in 17 of 62 of the bigger cities in Brazil,/ -including our larger city. Could it be achieved if this Party remained -under the umbrella of centrist parties (the communist party-PCB choose this -way an now it is a pathetic party that was able to elect only one mayor -in those bigger cities- furthermore, it has no more ideology and became only -an appendice to our right wing government)? Wouldn´t be wise to create a -broad left wing party in USA, joining from Trotskysts to social democrats? -Would it be able to get something like 5-6% in Presidential elections? -And people like Brad and Nathan Newman would be elegible to join it (I don´t -think so..but, as they consider themselves leftists)? -Btw: Our worker´s party was created by a strange (for your patterns)alliance -between leftist catholics and non Stalinist marxists. The involvement of the -catholic church was essential to the growth of the party. In USA do you have -left wing Christians?

Alexandre Fenelon