RES: Why the Left Always Loses: What is to Be Done?

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 20:49:59 PST 2001

Alexandre,

There is no evidence that the left is stronger when it submerges itself in the Democratic Party; on the contrary. The experience is that the DP has been happy to use the energies of leftists, and exclude them from any positions of responsibility or power. Leftists who advocate working in the DP have discovered that they get suckered into promoting right wing policies.

It would be good to have a broad left party here. It would be unlikely to progress as rapidly as the Brazilain PT for lots of reasons, not least of which is that Brazil has a base of radicalized workers for such a party. In addition, we have a deeoply institutionalized two party system that rejects any third party. There aren't enough Marxists of any variety here to make a difference; I would be surprised if there were 10,000 self-identified Marxists in America. There is a religiosu left that would be necessarily the basis of any effective left organization here.

--jks