NAM

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 17 10:38:09 PST 2001

I've long wondered why the National Association of Manufacturers never misses a chance to call for lower interest rates - but, at the same time, this position has so little resonance at the elite political level. It's not something you hear from, say, the Business Roundtable. I suspect it's that of the Association's 14,000 members, 10,000 are "small and medium-sized." The easy money crowd has the numbers, but not the capital - so the trade association makes noise, but there's not much of an echo. If the Fortune 500 were seriously opposed to the drift of Fed policy, we'd hear a lot more about it than we do.

Curiously, there's not a mention of interest rates in NAM's pro-growth agenda <http://www.nam.org/tertiary.asp?TrackID=&CategoryID=419&DocumentID=20968>. Dereg, lower taxes, a weaker EPA, yes. Not a word about Alan G though.

Doug