Hiring

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Jan 17 10:51:07 PST 2001

hey all --

I put out a hiring notice before the holiday. I'm reissuing here one more time as I want to collect a pool of applicants. Straight up: I have spoken to a few folks already. Nonetheless, this is a call to expand the pool in case the folks I spoke with a month ago decide not to pursue the position.

I need someone to help me, part-time, approximately 20 hours/wk. It may turn in to more, however, but I can't say for sure, right now. Basically, we're heading into a major promotional campaign for a new book. I'll be heading that up, and to be quite honest, sloughing of my more mundane tasks on to the lucky person who wants to earn some extra cash. Frankly, I like almost everything I do, but what I mean is that I'll be assigning work that could easily be done by someone else, freeing up some of my time to be available to head up the PR campaign. If you like PR kinds of things, let me know, and you can do more of that. I'm flexible. The biggest thing for Winn and me is that you're into it and can sell it enthusiastically. The book is supposed to be released in March. I'm guessing that this will be a 3-5 month job. We're picking up 5 more clients over the next six months so, it may turn in to more. So, I can't say for sure. Plus, I'll be going on vacation and we might want to get back with you in August or September for a two-week stint.

Examples of what you might be doing:

1. Basic surfing/research:

If I need to write something on Validation Technologies and PKI encryption, I might have you get me all the resources you can find on the 'net: white papers, in-depth features from the major IT sites, etc. You don't have to actually know what validation technology is in the fine details, just know how to do research on the Internet in order to find out. I'll give you some basic parameters, search terms, etc. If I write a piece on Netspionage and the history of corporate espionage, I might want you to hunt down lapel-grabbing examples of corporate espionage or sift through information security news sites for major recent examples of 'insider hack attacks'.

I might also have you surf to come with any and every potential partner that might be interested in the book/website, find out contact info, organize it and send it to me.

2. Writing: I pump out weekly and monthly newsletters for the Infotech departments of our clients. Our audience is the 'user' who is mostly sophisticated about security issues. However, they don't practice what they know, believing that they would never get trojaned or fooled by social engineering. I also interview infosec professionals for features in our newsletter. We also do special executive issues for established and potential clients. This audience is different; they want to know the bottom line. You'll be:

--proofreading my work (!!) --transcribing interview tapes --once you're familiar with the field, if you want to write some of the articles, make some suggestions and you're off! We'll negotiate as we go along. --if i don't have it, hunt down data on cybercrime.

3. Web site maintenance and development: We have a few web sites, one in development. You'd be proofing the sites and making sure links are updated. Take a look; they'll give you some idea of what we're about: www.interpactinc.com (infosec services/security awareness) and www.nicekids.net (this is the site in development). You can find out more about Winn and infosec in general at www.Infowar.com and http://www.cybershock1.com/

4. News: I'll tell you which services to subscribe to so you can sift through the Infosec news each day/week. A lot of this stuff is bunk -- poorly written articles that make dubious claims, often on the basis of product and service press releases. BAH! I'll want you to keep abreast of this info, read the stuff you think we can use, and read it with a critical eye.

5. Winn is often called to do things like speak on local media programs or asked to write up a quick article on e-mail hoaxes or identity theft. If he needs some piece of trivia hunted down or facts checked, that's our job.

6. Reviews: Basically, favors for colleagues such as review their web site, business concept or plan, etc.

7. I need it last month: Sometimes clients want things last month, you know the rave. Basically, they need to put a presentation together for the executive suite and want some information. They call us for help, on occasion.

So, you need

-basic computer skills -familiarity with the Internet and how to do research efficiently -be relatively flexible and willing to stay in daily contact. -able to work on your own -writing/proofreading skills

I will create work orders which include, among other things: 1. due date 2. estimated time spent (you work til you're done) 3. a basic outline of what I want you to do. You call me or write if you have questions.

If you have a decent machine, then set yourself up with Netmeeting (MSN messenger or ICQ's latest beta release), grab yourself a PC headset at your nearest computer supply store and phone calls are free!

If you or someone you know is interested, drop me a note which includes:

1. who you are and how you heard about the job 2. some basic info indicating experience you bring to the job. 3. questions/concerns 4. reassurance that you're going to be on board for the duration. 5. limitations or concerns you have 6. in the meantime, you can also send you resume/c.v.

Thanks,

Kelley Walker Researcher Interpact, Inc. www.interpactinc.com www.nicekids.net http://www.cybershock1.com/