Jazz

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed Jan 17 12:28:48 PST 2001

I tuned in for ten minutes and got tired of hearing people say, "when xxx plays, it takes you to another dimension, blah blah blah . . . " It may be true, but the words can't do justice to the feeling.

mbs

>In other words, can I still play the Ken Burns drinking game, which
>involves taking a swig every time somebody says "America"?
>
>Chuck0

The very subject matter doesn't give much latitude for this. Sidney Bechet (among others) had to flee to Paris to really feel at home as a performer; Bix Beiderbecke was suffocated by his repressive Midwestern family; Duke Ellington had to lease a private railroad car so he and his musicians wouldn't be discriminated against while touring the South. You can't put too much of a USA-all-the-way spin on material like that.