Maher/Disabled are Dogs

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 17 20:33:36 PST 2001

>You can chart the rise of rightwing comedy from when P.J. O'Rourke took
>over
>the National Lampoon in 1978. He turned the magazine to the right and
>bragged about his "screw you" humor.

Agreed. O'Rourke's switch to bullying humor marked a real turning point for the NatLamp and American humor as a whole. I had the privilege (I guess) to sit in on one of the sessions of the '92 Democratic National Convention and wound up sitting near O'Rourke, who appeared to be on some sort of journalistic assignment. I spent the entire evening trying to think of something suitably withering to say to this SOB and came up, unfortunately, with zip. Another lasting memory of that night was seeing George Will. My God, I'd always thought that guy's hairdo looked weird enough on TV; in person, it looked like it was actually molded of plastic.