Letter to WBAI

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Jan 17 14:15:02 PST 2001

WBAI supporters,

Even though I live in Los Angeles, I have a I have a particular fondness for WBAI. Doug Henwood, for instance, has had me on WBAI to discuss disability matters on his show. KPFK in Los Angeles has ghettoized discussion about disability into one half hour show "Access Unlimited." KPFK hosts like Cooper, etc. do NOT include disability activism as part of their agenda as to what is important to discuss. Hence those who do not listen to the half hour disability segment once a week do not get introduced to the politics of disablement. Henwood, by contrast, has offered me a podium to discuss disability issues within the larger, nonsegregated, listening audience of WBAI. How refreshing!

Meanwhile, this bit below caught a friend's attention and he sent it to me. It mentions a businessman, Ken Ford, who is on the board at Pacifica who fought the ADA and disability access.

I have suggested to others active in the disability community that we contact Pacifica and let them know that we do not want this Ken Ford on their board and that we support the former WBAI staff who were fired and the maintenance of true community radio, not the national Pacifica Board brand of it.

In solidarity, Marta Russell author, Los Angeles, CA http://disweb.org/ Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/russell_ramps.html