law of value -- thanks from jim O'Connor

Barbara Laurence cns at cats.ucsc.edu
Wed Jan 17 19:52:51 PST 2001

Thanks for the help. And a big hello, Shane. It's been awhile. I forgot that Marx called the "law of value" what I see as a tautology, i.e., that at any given time, cet. par., society needs so much labor time to produce so many products. An input-output model works here. But I don't see this as a "law" still less a "theory" as Roger suggested. Theory explains why things work when they work, why they don't when they don't. This opens the way for theory to include systemic contradictions, e.g., overaccumulation and also social movements, e.g., class struggle, etc. I can't see that Marx's "law of value" explains anything, but merely describes a particular perspective one should or can take on the "economy," a particular way of loking at the eonomy. A Leontiefian (spelling?) way. A "law" if this word is still useful at all, is some kind of causal relationship, preferably a dialectical causation. A Raider said Sunday that while the Ravan's defense is great, they lost because the Raider's offense was poor. Of course the offense was poor because the other team's defense was awesome. There's no practical way to distinguish between the two explanations in terms of causation. And why would anyone want to, anyway? Only those who have erector set mentalities. Same is true of nature and nurture (of Deacon vs. Chomsky). In my work, I'm thinking that the law of value, at its simplest, says that when workers productivity increases, the value of their LP declines (more precisely, the cost of wages of the value content of the consumption basket). This presupposes competition, flexible prices, etc., etc. At my age I've forgotten more of Marx than I remember, so it may very well be true that he also called this the law of value. Workers are impoverished because their labor is more productive. NB that cet. par this means real wages rise, at any given money wage. Of course the determinants of the size and quality of the consumption basket (as contrasted to its value content) are never discussed by Marx, beyond stating that the standard of life prevailing when someone is newly proleatrianized tends to dictate the size and quality of wage goods purchased.

The important thing I'm working on is, LP is but a fictitious commodity; is reproduced outside of the general circuit of capital; hence the importance of cultural factors and theories of consumerism and all that.