Jazz

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 14:57:57 PST 2001

>From: Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at tsoft.com>
>
>I've watch about four hours of it [Burns' Jazz series]. It's okay, but...
>It's like anything
>to do with the arts, it always takes the superficial turn, and there
>is not enough music in it. I mean complete, solid, beginning to end
>pieces. You know with a careful selection and a few hints, the music
>will tell the stories.

Well, for someone like me who didn't grow up with this music, this series is a godsend. Though I've long enjoyed isolated bits of jazz, I've never had any mental map of how the music evolved and how various legendary figures related to one another. At least now I'm getting insights that will help guide my future study and enjoyment of this music. As for Burns not offering enough complete pieces, this series is very long already, and the partial selections offered do provide incentive to go out and get the full recording. For once, I don't mind at all getting drawn into America's great merchandising maw and have already acquired three CDs by the notorious Sidney Bechet. And for those who want to avoid the corruptions of the marketplace, there's always the glorious web. Here, for instance, is a nifty site I just ran across with complete stride piano MIDI cuts: http://members.aol.com/midimusic/stride.html