Jazz

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Thu Jan 18 08:22:56 PST 2001

If any of you jazz lovers ever find yourself in Kansas City, go check out the Jazz Hall of Fame. It's located in the same building as the Negro Leagues Hall of Fame, which is another excellent museum.

Of course, as any veteran Kansas City Lefty can tell you, these museums, while excellent in their own way, are still a sad commentary on the nature of Kansas City. I'm sure Thomas Frank has written a little about this, but I always appreciated Richard Rhode's article on "Cupcakeland," the Kansas City that had all the fun parts (like jazz clubs and strip joints) sanitized.

I spent my Christmas back in K.C. with the family. One of my sisters had finally gotten to itch to leave. I'm surprised that Kansas City isn't facing a crisis of young people moving elsewhere, given that it is one big cancerous strip mall.

Chuck0