Whorf Lives (re: Whorf Hoax, etc

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu Jan 18 10:27:42 PST 2001

G'day Maureen'n'Chuck,

Only just got back on LBO, so I've missed the guts of your convo, but I picked up this Chomsky quote/paraphrase somewhere (the book's at home). Is it relevant to anything you guys are on about? There's a lot in in, I reckon.

'the whole issue of whether there's a physical basis for mental structures is a rather empty issue,' because, in the development of modern science, 'the concept "physical" has been extended step by step to cover anything we understand', so that 'when we ultimately begin to understand the properties of mind, we shall simply ... extend the notion "physical" to cover these properties as well.'

Cheers, Rob.