Jazz

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 18 09:53:49 PST 2001

>I guess. It's him [Armstrong] or Charlie Parker, if we consider both instrumental
>virtuosity and compositional ability. If we drop the virtuosity requirement,
>Ellington goes into mix, along with Stravinsky.
>
>--jks

What about Coltrane? While Bird Parker was a great musician (the Jimi Hendrix of the alto sax), he was terribly conventional in choice of arrangements -- his string music being the most obvious example. Coltrane was a true innovator who kept pushing and breaking the form. "The Father And The Son And The Holy Ghost" is as mad an arrangement as I've ever heard. Perhaps it will be understood by 2057.

DP