Jazz

Thu Jan 18 11:13:42 PST 2001

>>> jkschw at hotmail.com 01/17/01 11:37PM >>>

>CB: Yes, I knew of Sidney Bechet, but somehow I didn't know he was such a
>thug.

A thug? He was arrogant and quirky. His early work was within hooting distance of Armstrong's, which is saying something, and the late 30s-early 40s Victor recordings are great, but something in his personality preventing him from either developing, as, e.g., Hawkins did, or from finding artistic fulfullment in what he was happy doing, as Armstrong or (maybea closer analogy) Hines dis in their later years, when modern jazz had ins ome ways passed them by. Bechet may not have been a nice man. Neither was Jelly Roll Morton. But a thug? That is strong language. --jks

(((((((((

CB: Jazzed up language. According to the PBS show, allegedly he shot someone in Paris over a disagreement about a chord change.

In general, see _The Autobiography of Malcolm X_ on music in speakeasies and other illegal joints.

Hey, Tupac and Biggy Small were "thugs". Murder was the case they gave Snoop. Puffy is on trial right now.