Jazz

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:36:04 PST 2001

Oh, there were lots of thugs in the biz--Joe Glaser, Armstrongs' later manager, was one of the nicer ones, thugs that is; the clubs tended to run by gangsters, etc. But that is different from saying that the musicians were thugs. I hadn't heard the story about the Paris shotting. It's not characteristic of Bechet. He was a difficult man, but not a brute. --jks