Jazz

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 16:36:54 PST 2001

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>
>John Halle wrote:
>
>>Of course, the pwog-left has long
>>since given up on classical music as it is just ever so terribly elitist.
>
>Not me. I'm all for high bourgeois culture. I started listening to
>classical music as a youngster, and spent years studying it too. But
>after a while, I burned out on the canon ...

... and wound up a fan of the multi-talentless Madonna. Apparently you weren't just "burned out," Doug, but utter vaporized :-)

>The culture surrounding jazz has always mystified me. Though it's a
>kind of "popular" music, there's an air of painfully high seriousness
>among
>afficionados. Jazz DJs assume a tone of almost funereal reverence
>when they identify what they've just played, and read the name of
>everyone associated with the recording except the janitor who swept
>the studio.

You got that right. This priestly attitude that is indeed characteristic of jazz DJs does a severe disservice to the music. There is certainly no other field of music that breeds the pedantic oneupmanship that seems eternally to bedevil jazz.