Jazz

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 08:50:28 PST 2001

These are the kind of irritating snob remarks that on hand induce the Lincoln Center crowd to pretend that jazz is classical music, so "serious," so of "real value," etc., and on the other hand to make us want to firebomb the symphony. I like classical music. I am a hopeless and proud elitist. I am a fan of high bourgeois culture. But I don't think that it proves that some music work has real value that it is played at the Philharmonic by a bunch of people in evening clothes, or that it doesn't because it was played at a club by a drug addict (and how do you know about those classical musicians and composers, anyway?) or by a dance orchestra with crass commercial motivation. Jazz is not classical music, but Armstrong, Ellington, and Parker are as good as music gets--as good as Bach or Beethoven, each in their own way. --jks