jazz

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Jan 19 10:16:08 PST 2001

yeah, i agree. i also think that split generated the black/white music (jazz) distinction in the first place. you see the split elsewhere -- it's about selling out, it's about professionalization (for lack of a better word) of the genre where training becomes more formalized. one school glorifies those who avoid 'formal' training, who can't read music in any sophisticated way, who claim that music is something you are born to do and it can't be taught, yadda. so it's not that it's a mistaken view but rather that is a view that is indicative of the split you speak of, if my memory hasn't failed me here. it's been a long time.

but there are clearly, from my experience, different ways to listen to and experience jazz. the staid, religious like reverence of the audience in cool jazz, heads slightly tipped back or sometimes bowed, listening intently, eyes closed with a whoop let out every so often is or was considered white, head music. but, like i said, someone who's read this more recently than i should correct me because this may well just be something i picked up back when i was into punk and not able to appreciate the jazz milieu i was surrounded by at the time. i remember the way white people listened to jazz --with their heads--and i was always shocked because i couldn't understand how anyone could listen to what they listened to and not want to move. but, i was a kid. so, when i read about the history, the commercialization and the production politics years later, maybe i imposed that on what i read.

and yeah, doug, about marsalis. i bought some of his stuff years ago, when i first heard of neoclassical. i thought it would appeal to me b/c it was hailed as getting back to jazz roots and enough with the white rock lite butt kissing fusion, yadda. i was disappointed, to say the least. it's music that does target the well educated, musically trained audience. that's not awful, but wasn't what i initially liked about jazz.

kelley