Jazz

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Fri Jan 19 10:18:46 PST 2001

> Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:04:29 -0000
> From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Jazz
>
> Back to the woodshed with you. This opinion is extarordinarily ignorant;
> it's like saying that Abigail van Buren is a better philosopher than Quine
> because Quine doesn't offer advice on how to live. If you can't hear the
> structure of Parker's workm you need to educate your ear. --jks

As someone who played gigs with (among many others) Parker's heir apparent Sonny Stitt in 1980 (on the strength of being able to play Stella by Starlight in G-what's the first chord? Quick! Go home, kid.) I have spent a fair amount of time in the woodshed, I can assure you.

Now, would you like to attempt a refutation of the points made below by citing specific cuts by Parker? Incidentally, there are at least two known, albeit somewhat obscure, jazz heads which make use of five bar phrases. Prize for anyone here who can identify one of these. Hint: Parker doesn't play on either recording.

John