Jazz

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:26:29 PST 2001

I am an elitist in that I admire excellence of almost every sort. I am not a snob: a snob admires what he has been told is the right sort of thing to like to belong to his in-group, and despises everything else, even if they are fine. I am too catholic in my tastes to be a snob. I love jazz, blues, classical, folk, country, and rock, among other things. I like Doris Day--not in large doses. No one who likes Doris Day could a snob. I am not even a philosophical snob: I didn't sneer at Dear Abby; she's a fine advice columnist, although I prefer Dan Savage myself; I said it was category mistake to appraise her a philosopher. --jks