Jazz

Eric Beck rayrena at accesshub.net
Fri Jan 19 13:02:45 PST 2001

kelley wrote:

>>But still, I think jazz, and pop and rock, should be taken seriously (but
>>not with "painfully high seriousness"). Unless we all want to be like those
>>contestants on American Bandstand. "It's got a good beat. I can dance to
>>it. I give it a 95!"
>
>BUT, what is wrong with that? why must we take music seriously only in the
>absence of our bodily enjoyment of it, if that's what the music does to us?

Kelley, as soon as I sent this, I knew you were going to have this objection. Thanks for not letting me down.

There is nothing wrong with this. Not a thing. I'm glad people enjoy themselves. I've spent literally countless hours in the last few months dancing around the house, with my kid, to Duke. But I think music--maybe not the same music you'd give a 95 to--can also be an object of criticism, and you have to take it seriously to criticize it. I like what's-his-name's dictum, the one about criticizing all that exists. Music exists.

>it's a fucking white boy thang!
>
>coz white boys cain't dance!! :)

And I can't. At all. That's why I do it with a four-month-old. He won't laugh because my cracker-ass gyrations are herky and jerky and arhythmic. He just likes the motion.

Eric