Kristol/Marx

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 19 15:14:34 PST 2001

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer wrote:

>Doug:
>
>Lost that piece about Kristol on Marx. Could you send out again?

X-From_: owner-lbo-talk at dont.panix.com Thu Jan 18 16:18:31 2001 Mime-Version: 1.0 X-Sender: dhenwood at popserver.panix.com Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:18:07 -0500 To: lbo-talk <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: Kristol on imagination Sender: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com

"American conservatism lacks for political imagination. It's so influenced by business culture and by business modes of thinking that it lacks any political imagination, which has always been, I have to say, a property of the left....If you read Marx, you'd learn what a political imagination could do."

- Irving Kristol, quoted in a fascinating Lingua Franca article by Corey Robin on John Gray and Edward Luttwak, two rightwingers who've "moved left" in recent years <http://www.linguafranca.com/print/0101/cover_cons.html>. Robin and Luttwak will be my radio guests in about 45 mins <http://www.wbai.org>.

Doug