calories

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Jan 19 03:52:33 PST 2001

W, from an interview in today's NYT:
>Asked about the perk that he expected to enjoy the most, he said:
>"Good food, I guess. They've got great food. The dessert menu is
>unbelievable. These things are so exotic it's hard to even describe
>what they are. They're these kinds of mounds of calories."

-This guy went to Andover, Yale, and Harvard? He sounds like he just -stepped out of a log cabin. -Doug

You almost get the sense that he's doing a parody imitation of the President from THE CONTENDER who went off continually on how food on demand was the greatest perk of being President.

Now, why Bush would want to ape a guy who is a parody of Bill has all sorts of bizarre implications. Or maybe Bush just has to crib from anything he can on how to act Presidential, since he just is totally out of his depth. You do watch the guy and have the sense of seeing the aftermath of "The Candidate" where folks are looking around saying, What do we do now? Sure, he's got the ideologies and business groups moving on policy, but W just doesn't have the full-on passion unto himself to be "the President." Reagan and Clinton both had that sense of themselves in the role, while Bush Senior had such a long-time ambition for it that he could fake it. But W just looks kind of small and bewildered all the time, looking around for aides to tell him what to do seemingly at all times.

Just kind of bizarre.

-- Nathan Newman