Jazz

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jan 19 15:42:03 PST 2001

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Doesn't Marsalis really play up the high-culture angle, though, and
> play down what Charles mentioned, the roots of jazz in black party
> music? That's one of the things that bothers me about the
> high-seriousness of jazz cultists - it's like they're trying to deny
> its racial and sexual aspects to purify it for canonization.

You're mixing two groups here. Most people who consider jazz as high a cultural and intellectual achievement as classical music dislike both Marsalis and _Jazz_ for precisely this reason. Big formal halls & not being able to nod your heard without being looked down upon are the worst things that happened to classical music -- and an integral part of its sacralization. God forbid they should ever become the rule in jazz.

Michael