Jazz

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 19 16:14:19 PST 2001

Sam Pawlett writes:

>Depends what Burns means by "greatest". Satchmo may be Burns favorite
>musician. It's conventional wisdom that Louis was one of the great
>innovators in jazz and when in his prime probably the greatest trumpet
>player and improviser, relative to the time he played.

***** White Man

Sure I know you! You're a White Man. I'm a Negro. You take all the best jobs And leave us the garbage cans to empty

and The halls to clean. You have a good time in a big house at

Palm Beach And rent us the back alleys And the dirty slums. You enjoy Rome -- And _take_ Ethiopia. White Man! White Man! Let Louis Armstrong play it -- And you copyright it And make the money. You're the smart guy, White Man! You got everything! But now, I hear your name ain't really White

Man. I hear it's something Marx wrote down Fifty years ago -- That rich people don't like to read. Is that true, White Man? Is your name in a book Called the _Communist Manifesto_?

Is your name spelled

C-A-P-I-T-A-L-I-S-T?

Are you always a White Man?

Huh?