Jazz: It's an amurrican thing

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at wppost.depaul.edu
Fri Jan 19 18:17:46 PST 2001

While I've enjoyed watching the fireworks on a topic where what I know can charitably be described as "fuck-all", I can't help noticing a silent consensus on one of Ken Burns's chief conceits in the series: that jazz is essentially a U.S. thing. All of which makes me wonder, so what's bossa nova, chopped liver? But if we let Tom Jobim (among others) into the tent, then we can identify at least one place on earth where jazz is not following classical into the museum.

That aside, perhaps we're all trying a little TOO hard to accumulate cultural capital (always, necessarily, by devaluing others'). Somewhere, Pierre Bourdieu is laughing at us.

Cheers, Mike