Jazz: It's an amurrican thing

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 20:05:11 PST 2001

Jazz is an American gift to the world. Bossa nova, among other world musics that jazz musicians took up and abborbed, became part of jazz, but it wasn't jazz until the likes of Stan Getz got hold of it. Jazz was traken up by the European quite early--one thinks of Django Rheinhart and the Hot Club of France in the 1930s; and of course of lot jazz musicians emigrated for a greater or or lesser time, fertiliszing jazz in France, England Scandanavia, and elsewhere. One of my favorite odd jazz groups is the Istalian Istabile Orchestra. European jazz is a theme of The Talented Mr. Ripley, btw. I have a fun book by Frederick Starr, Red and Hot, about Soviet Jazz, which I have heard a bit of--the music, that is; there is talent there. All taht said, jazz is a native AMerican expression. That doesn';t mean it stays here. Like most American culture, it is now everywhere. --jks