jazz

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 20 04:23:34 PST 2001

>>I keep hearing good things about Radiohead. Worth buying their albums?
>>
>>-- Dennis
>>

>I had heard this too, and listened to a good chunk of one. I was
>disappointed. It sounded like standard pop rock, without even the energy asd
>verbal inventiveness of, say Elvis Costello or the drive of the Clash or the
>sex appeal of Blondie--I guess I am stuck, as far as rock goes, in the New
>Wave stuff of 20 years ago. But I haven't heard much rock taht moved me
>since. --jks

Radiohead is great. Try "The Bends," which is my fav. Justin, you sound like my wife. She too is stuck in that 1977-82 period, which is not a bad thing (I was a pure psycho Clash fan back then, and still enjoy "London Calling"), but there's been a lot of great pop/rock music since: Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Beck, Ice Cube, early Public Enemy ("It Takes a Nation of Millions . . ." is brilliant, despite the "Afro-fascist" politics in it, to borrow from Stanley Crouch) . . . which reminds me, weren't we talking about jazz?

DP