On the important French Fry Question

Maureen Anderson manders at midway.uchicago.edu
Sat Jan 20 09:03:39 PST 2001

McDonald's fries _rule_. I speak as a connoisseur who's done serious sampling on four continents. With the exception of the maquis restaurants along the West African coast (it's the palm oil -- oh they're sublime) McDonalds' fries, when they're fresh and hot, truly are hard to beat.

It's occasionally been suggested to me that a childhood of working class Irish cuisine [sic] has rather biased my judgement here. But I was vindicated a few years ago when a local Chicago magazine did a fries cover story and polled all sorts of Leading Citizens and five-star chefs on their favorite fries in the area. An incredibly high percentage, including a couple of the Escoffier-esque chefs, cited MacDonalds.

Though I'm with Charles: Burger King's burgers are better and this can be a dilemma.

Maureen