Jazz

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 21 07:00:22 PST 2001

>From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com>
>
>It may be that jazz has exhausted its idiom and outrun its milieu,
>and that museums are all that is left for it

Ironic, if true, since there seems to be so much more genuine energy and joy expressed by the jazz musicians and dancers of the Depression era than can be sensed among popular-music performers and fans of this era. I know that nostalgia is a dangerous thing to indulge in when talking about an event as searing as the Depression (and soon-to-arrive WWII); I know that social possibilities offered by contemporary affluence amd technological achievement can't be sneered at; and I know that if I was 30 years younger I probably would be a lot more in tune with whatever is life-affirming in the culture now. But when I look at energetic swing-enjoying throngs of the '30s in the Burns' documentary, I can't but lament what seems to me the tremendous loss of cultural vitality that has happened in this nation in the postwar period -- unquestionably, IMHO, because of the relentless commercialization, regimentation, homogenization and blanding down of popular music and really all arts to different degrees. Much of everyday life itself, these days, has a mummified, museum-like feeling to me for this reason.