On the important French Fry Question

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 21 08:32:51 PST 2001

>Hmm, so where's it stop? The computer I'm typing on was made a giant
>multinational and assembled in Mexico. There's a stereo next to me
>made by Sony in China. The coffee I'm drinking came from Kenya, a
>country filled with poor and hungry people, and the beans were grown
>and picked under god knows what exploitative conditions. You don't
>really believe that individual consumption choices can clean an
>unclean world, do you?
>
>Doug

There's no way one can fully step out of grim consumer reality, but one can make choices. All depends on what one is willing to give up. Personally, I avoid McD's (though my wife takes my kids there from time to time), the Gap, WalMart, Old Navy, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, anything from Hormel or Tyson foods, and of course Nike. Drop in the slopbucket. I'm still connected to all kinds of criminal enterprises, I'm sure.

DP