it's all image, citizens!

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sun Jan 21 08:40:45 PST 2001

>>Arguments about the legitimacy of the Texas governor's victory have
>>persisted even as the country accepted the fact that he had won.
>>Thousands of the doubtful and disenchanted took to the streets of
>>Washington today in angry protest.
>>
>>But the debate is likely to grow softer as the nation grows
>>accustomed to pictures of Mr. Bush speaking from the Oval Office,
>>boarding Air Force One, accompanied everywhere he goes by the
>>strains of "Ruffles and Flourishes" and "Hail to the Chief." In the
>>television age, those images, more than anything else, confer the
>>mantle of authority and legitimacy on a leader.

Though I try to avoid TV on inauguration day, I couldn't help myself, and got what I deserved. Typical one-party state coverage, somewhat sullied by the demos along the parade route (though George Steph. on ABC assured nervous viewers that the "majority of Americans" accept President Bush). My fav moment came on CNN's idiotic media review show with "Howie" Kurtz and Bernard Kalb. The question: Are we too soft on inauguration day? Answer: Yes, and damn proud of it! Kurtz and Kalb were bad enough; but the woman (don't remember her name) from NPR (the Left) was even more gooey about the whole process. Ack! Where's Janet Reno and the tanks when you need them?

DP