On the important French Fry Question

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sun Jan 21 10:29:19 PST 2001

>absolutely fucking correct. and it can't be said often enough.

I'm over quota now, but I can't leave this one alone, Doug. I'm a big fan of Yoshie and Steve's, but their line of argument *in this context* gives waay too much ground, I reckon. Until Maccas and all those other corporate crap pushers defaced Ozzie's main thoroughfares, we ate take-away food more varied, more nourishing and more sensually exciting than anything we get from these corporate bastards, and no dearer. Those vendors are mostly gone now - gawn bust or underwent make-overs for more up-market niches. And now ordinary people have to like the plastic muck or lump it. Only at this point do Yoshie's and Steve's point come in - people's wallets and schedules afford them no option - and another battle to deprive human being of hard-to-regulate variety and sub-optimal delights is won - to the applause of leftie cheer squads, it seems.

Cheers, Rob.