On the important French Fry Question

Russell Grinker grinker at mweb.co.za
Sun Jan 21 11:05:16 PST 2001

>>John Thornton wrote:
>>
>>>On another note, what the hell are you people doing
>>>patronizing McD's? I suppose you shop at WalMart too?

>i don't think the outrage expressed here was anything other than elitism.

This kind of populist anti-brand politics is a lot more common than you think. I was roundly denounced on another list down here for being flippant about what I thought was a silly proposal for a South African anti-McD's campaign ("save out youth from western contamination etc...). All I had said was I thought it was a whole system rather than a particular brand of hamburger that we opposed. Apparently to some people, McD's is US imperialism incarnate and a call for the trashing of the nearest outlet an important transitional demand.

Russell