[PEN-L:7163] Congo

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Jan 21 16:11:49 PST 2001

At 10:01 21/01/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Heh, add the editors of NLR for publishing an excerpt from the Gott book a
>few yrs. ago to the counter-revolutionary dustbin. ;-)
>What did Che say. Something like Kabila was wasting money in nightclubs and
>showed little dedication to the struggle. Now if only he had said something
>like what Lenin said in his "Final Testament" about Stalin being rude to
>Krupskaya...
>Kabila, just like Mobuto grew fantastically rich at the expense of his
>people. The former had CIA backing, natch, the latter, not. Moralist, socdem
>me, will never understand the fight the primary enemy even if they are shits
>line of my leninist comrades.
> Michael
>Pugliese, gloater.
>P.S. What next a defense of anti-imperialist Erap Estada? Come on, I think
>you can draw the line somewhere! Methinks, I'm being too harsh, skirting the
>11 mark on the flammage meter...

That does not seem particularly inflammatory to me, but it might to some.

We cannot assume that every movement that says it is nationalist and opposed to imperialism, is progressive.

The difficult question that leftists have to address is that there are times when the nationalist resistance to imperialism is not sufficiently progressive for it to outweigh the damage to formal democracy and to the possibility of unity between international working people. That is particularly important when there is a risk of fanning religious divisions between Christians and Muslims and promoting fascism in new forms.

The neo-liberal agenda of civil rights presents some complex choices. Although it is creditable for citizens of an imperialist country in the first place to oppose their bourgeoisie, there will be times when international finance capital is more progressive than local capital for the purposes of building popular world unity.

Thus it was progressive for Chomsky and other leftists to call for the USA and the IMF to intervene in East Timor, and to send a military force. (It was preferable that that force did not include US military, and did not use high level cluster bombs or depleted uranium). But it was certainly both a) imperialist and b) progressive (that is, progressive from the point of view of the development of the unity of the people of the world.

However the IMF's economic oppression of the people of Indonesia has greatly stimulated reactionary forces.

Chris Burford

London