On the important French Fry Question

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jan 21 18:18:37 PST 2001

It seemed to me that the first two responses, from doug & yoshie, gave a nearly exhaustive political analysis of the issue of replacing political (i.e., collective) judgment with inividualist moralism. Such individualist moralism is primarily a rejection of class solidarity, replacing it with mere private priggishness or national chauvinism. I havent eaten at a macd for about 25 years i don't like the stuff. But if i did like it or found it convenient I would of course eat there. Walmarts give me the willies, but that is a mere personal pecadillo of utterly no political import. Any moral criticism of a working class woman or man for his/her consumption choices is just plain offensive. It is entirely different of course with organized boycotts with a clear political (collective) purpose.

Sometime it would be interesting to discuss the use and (mostly) abuse of nostalgia. The core of its abuse is its semi-secret urge to return to the world described in the chapter on the working day in _Capital_.

All those small locally owned bakeries that worked their employees 18 hrs a day. And all those small local employers back in the 1950s who were just outraged at the laziness of employees who were demanding that newfangled thing called ther coffee break.

carrol