a healthy and lucid disgust

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 22 07:23:36 PST 2001

Joanna Sheldon wrote:

>patronise the local strugglers instead of the styrofoam-wielding
>invaders of our crossroads and neighborhoods

"Despite recognizing all this, we insist on asserting that the construction of Empire is a step forward in order to do away with any nostalgia for the power structures that preceded it and refuse any political strategy that involves returning to that old arrangement, such as trying to resurrect the nation-state to protect against global capital. We claim that Empire is better in the same way that Marx insists that capitalism is better than the forms of society and modes of production that came before it. Marx's view is grounded on a healthy and lucid disgust for the parochial and rigid hierarchies that preceded capitalist society as well as on a recognition that the potential for liberation is increased in the new situation"

- Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri, Empire, p. 43