Down under

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 18:09:57 PST 2001

[There appears to be much more to antipodean life than I was able to glean from Bill Bryson’s latest book. For instance, the following, from Salon, includes this apparently reliable advice on distinguishing Aussies from Kiwis: "Aussie males ... {are} more likely to be caught naked outside their rooms."]

A hotel survey Down Under shows gals are feistier than guys

By Jack Boulware

Jan. 23, 2001 | After a romance-themed survey of 27 hotels in Australia and New Zealand, researchers have concluded that many female guests possess an insatiable desire to yowl and pound the wall when they have sex. Other findings: The feisty women are watching relatively more porn on television, are leaving their rooms in a greater state of disarray and are stealing more items than male guests are.

This dubious study, commissioned by the Novotel hotel chain, chronicled the habits of both male and female hotel guests, and the females came out the clear winner when it comes to having noisy sex.

"Women are doing it because we can, and maybe because we are enjoying it," Novotel spokeswoman Gaynor Reid told the Dominion newspaper. "I think women are becoming more assertive."

Included in this new feminine assertiveness was an increase in complaints made to hotel management. The survey also found that Australian women guzzled the wine from their minibars while their Kiwi counterparts preferred soft drinks. Men from New Zealand ordered more flowers, chocolates and champagne than Australian men did. But Aussie males were more likely to be caught naked outside their rooms.

Novotel seemed pleased to report that hotel personnel were seeing more instances of couples rutting like dogs outside their rooms. The most popular locations for carnal activity were stairwells and the communal spa.

[end]

Carl