The alleged "Racak Massacre"

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 23 20:59:11 PST 2001

Seth>You'll notice that further up in my post I wrote: There were several high-profile massacres in Kosovo, most of them aren't questioned by reasonable people.

I don't see what Jared Israel has to do with the above statement.

If I wanted to, I could waste a lot of bandwidth on this list debating, in absentia, the outer fringes of pro-NATO sentiment -- I could set up a Jeanne Kirkpatrick strawman or a Robert Bartley paper tiger and knock them down just as easily.

But that's too easy because there are a lot smarter people to argue with on that side of the fence. So I don't. But apparently the bomb-Serbia claque finds it too tiring to engage serious arguments on the other side; much more pleasing to dig up the rantings of the most insane pro-Milosevic specimens on the Internet and then congratulate themselves for detecting the flaws in their arguments.

This isn't very impressive.

Seth

Point(s) well taken. Both sides (can't there be more than two sides? On some vexatious questions, positions get so polarized, ambivalences get silenced in the name of group unity, y'all know plenty of examples) have their less reasoned and more reasoned proponents. And I, in my less heated moments recognize that there are anti-Milosevic, anti-NATO bombing writers and activists. This list and others had/has many who opposed the bombing with little illusions as to the progressiveness of the Milosevic clique.

I'm rather spent on the thread.though.("Hooray goes the crowd!"). For those interested though a few new books. _Winning Ugly, NATO's Crusade to Save Kosovo" from Brookings by Ivo Daalder and M. O'Hanlon. _War's Offensive on Women: The Humanitarian Challenge in Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan_ by Julie A. Mertus & Judy A. Benjamin. _ Kosovo: Contending Voices on Balkan Interventions_ ed. by William J. Buckley. (J. not F.!)

Michael Pugliese