strawberries

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Jan 24 00:18:09 PST 2001

At 09:50 AM 1/24/01 +0200, Peter van Heusden wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 01:43:27AM -0500, kelley wrote:
> >
> > who needs a garden patch of berries when you can climb a hill, catch a
> > glimpse of the white tails bounding through the forest and find your best
> > berry patches surrounding the dilapidated stone foundation of a homestead
> > erected 200 years ago.!!
>
>Um, those of us who either don't have such a hill nearby (Table Mountain's
>pretty cool, but it doesn't have strawberries, butternuts, tomatoes,
>sweet and african basil, fennel, rosemary, oreganum, etc :)?

:) i was teasing joanna (hence, the "smooches" in close). i know i had the
luxury, one which i'm deprived of now :( waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. i don't have a yard for a garden. waaaaaaaaaaaaah. i love gardening and used to keep a fairly large vegetable garden 50x100 ft. (oh geez, i should traslate into the appropriate measures... spank me!) complete with teepees around which curled pole beans and miniature pumpkins for the kiddles in neighborhood to play in.

heh. joanna will like this: i used to make the sonshine homemade teething biscuits b/c nothing terribly impure went in that kids mouth for the first year. (was a cornell recipe!) well, he promptly tossed those biscuits on the floor, terribly uninterested in ma's homemade biscuits. took him into the garden. he plopped himself down and started chewing on rocks. :)

>On its own, pottering in the garden and avoiding McDonalds is a
>delusion, but its one which is rather perculiarly therapeutic,
>for me at least.
>
>Peter

yes, and even when it's a working garden as i had, it's difficult labor, yet enjoyable. see, i do understand what dennis and chuck were talking about way back. it's just that i would rather keep one foot firmly planted in the reality of what life might be like were to actually have to do all that work the *really* hard way.

i have a good recipe for getting rid of the pests that i'll share --listerine and epsom salts as i recall (tho probably bad for something, somewhere huh?)-- in addition to companionable planting. *sigh* oh i miss that garden with marigolds and narcissus all around it and up and down the rows in various places. :(

if you dig into the ground around here you hit water and sand pretty fast from what i can tell.

kelley