Tony Kushner, _Angels in America_

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 24 02:47:49 PST 2001

***** Roy [M. Cohn]: AIDS. Your problem, Henry, is that you are hung up on words, on labels, that you believe they mean what they seem to mean. AIDS. Homosexual. Gay. Lesbian. You think these are names that tell you who someone sleeps with, but they don't tell you that.

Henry [Roy's doctor]: No?

Roy: No. Like all labels they tell you one thing and one thing only: where does an individual so identified fit in the food chain, in the pecking order? Not ideology, or sexual taste, but something much simpler: clout. Not who I fuck or who fucks me, but who will pick up the phone when I call, who owes me favors. This is what a label refers to. Now to someone who does not understand this, homosexual is what I am because I have sex with men. But really this is wrong. Homosexuals are not men who sleep with other men. Homosexuals are men who in fifteen years of trying cannot get a pissant antidiscrimination bill through City Council. Homosexuals are men who know nobody and who nobody knows. Who have zero clout. Does this sound like me, Henry?

Henry: No.

Roy: No. I have clout. A lot. I can pick up this phone, punch fifteen numbers, and you know who will be on the other end in under five minutes, Henry?

Henry: The President.

Roy: Even better, Henry. His wife.

Henry: I'm impressed.

Roy: I don't want you to be impressed. I want you to understand. This is not sophistry. And this is not hypocrisy. This is reality. I have sex with men. But unlike nearly every other man of whom this is true, I bring the guy I'm screwing to the White House and President Reagan smiles at us and shakes his hand. Because _what_ I am is defined entirely by _who_ I am. Roy Cohn is not a homosexual. Roy Cohn is a heterosexual man, Henry, who fucks around with guys.

Henry: OK, Roy.

Roy: And what is my diagnosis, Henry?

Henry: You have AIDS, Roy.

Roy: No, Henry, no. AIDS is what homosexuals have. I have liver cancer....

(Tony Kushner, _Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches_, Act I, Scene 9) *****

On one hand, Kushner gives Roy Cohn a "social constructionist" insight: labels are effects of power, "homosexuals" are men without any clout. On the other hand, Kushner reveals that a "social constructionist" insight into the constitution of "normals" & "abnormals" and oppressions based on it cannot acknowledge real risks of real diseases -- "AIDS is what homosexuals have. I have liver cancer" -- though in the collection of health statistics deaths of so-called "heterosexuals" must have been often chalked up to "liver cancer," etc.

Diseases are real, risks of unprotected sex are real, but the classification of human beings according to so-called "sexual orientations" is ideological (an ideological effect of the social divisions of labor based upon sexism in a capitalist society).

Yoshie