a matter of gravity

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Mon Jan 1 13:31:26 PST 2001

This is familiar, Dennis, though local nuance is important to consider.

My wee populist Jan Sandile was born nearly 6 years ago in Baltimore. My then-wife (a radical Afrikaner) and I got the info on circumcision options from a Johns Hopkins midwife, and decided against. Back home in Johannesburg, though, the sensible public health approach seems to be pro-circumcision, because of hygiene + HIV/AIDS risks. But about twelve hours by road southeast of here, the most frightful process is the Xhosa tradition of circumcision, only performed (way out in the Eastern Cape hills) at the age of manhood. (There are, I'd guess, 2.5 million Xhosa males amongst SA's 40 million people.) And of course in a desperately poor situation in the Transkei/Ciskei countryside, this practice (performed by a clan elder) regularly leads to infection (yes, amputation is often the only solution, given how long it takes to identify and treat the problem in a backwards rural zone)--and then, in not a few cases, to death. One of my best friends, modernised through urban anti-apartheid politics at a young age, returned to his Xhosa kraal from Jo'burg, and announced he would do the manhood rites, but only at a local hospital. It went off painlessly thanks to morphine, and the clan was cool about it, knowing the risks up in the hills. The peasant boys keep coming down with infections, though, from bad cuts and no anti-inflammatories. And, to finally conclude, after the legacy of apartheid which left virtually no clinics in these "bantustan" homeland areas, and with a World Bank-designed structural adjustment programme clamping down hard on health spending, these fellows find themselves right in the middle of three oppressive systems: pre-capitalist cultural norms, residual apartheid-capitalist healthcare-scarcity, and post-apartheid neoliberal-capitalist austerity.

Patrick Bond (pbond at wn.apc.org) home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa phone: (2711) 614-8088 work: University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa work email: bond.p at pdm.wits.ac.za work phone: (2711) 717-3917 work fax: (2711) 484-2729 cellphone: (27) 83-633-5548 * Municipal Services Project website -- http://www.queensu.ca/msp * to order new book: Cities of Gold, Townships of Coal -- http://store.yahoo.com/africanworld/865436126.html