CHAT: Americans wondering...

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Jan 2 14:31:58 PST 2001

"M.Blackmore" wrote:
> > how can the rest of the world deal with the Americans
> > (collectively, for some of my best friends etc.) as it is becoming
> > clear that "we" need to do so as an imperative for general survival?

Carrol Cox:
> In marxist terms, the primary contradiction in the world today is
> between U.S. imperialism and human survival. Some of us on this
> list have been arguing this for some time. Most on this list, however,
> do not believe that u.s. imperialism *can* be defeated (that would
> require a revolution, for which no scenario unfortunately exists),
> and operating on the basis of what they think empirically possible
> (and ignoring necessity) they argue that the only hope for humanity
> is that u.s. imperialism can be slowly reformed from inside through
> a series of peaceful victories by mass movements bringing pressure
> to bear on the imperialists.
>
> It looks like there is no hope.

Capitalism has been very clever at transforming itself when pushed nearly off the brink. I see no future for _U.S._ imperialism. Rather, one can expect Capital (the organized rich as a ruling class) to become unified world-wide, a kind of supra-national imperialism, in which case -- assuming it gets there without blowing everything up -- it will lose interest in destroying the world and instead become decadent, Byzantine, and eventually purposeless.

So -- 50-50.