Free Mike!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 24 15:08:25 PST 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> [...]

Ah, so the victims were shareholders - i.e., other (and often bigger, more prestigious) capitalists. Not workers. Thus Milken's a notorious criminal, while Chainsaw Al Dunlap is a free man.

By the way, here's Mike's version of his "legal dispute" with the government <http://www.mikemilken.com/legal_dispute.html>:

>In the late 1980s, Milken faced broad government charges that John
>Steele Gordon, author of a definitive book on Wall Street, suggests
>may have been a result of "ambitious prosecutors" lusting after a
>high-profile case. Because of intense pressure on him and his
>family, Milken settled, paid a $200-million fine and admitted
>conduct that resulted primarily in violations of securities
>regulations that had not been prosecuted as crimes before and have
>not been prosecuted since. The judge found only one transaction that
>Milken pleaded to had any economic impact - and that was only $318
>thousand. The editor of Forbes said he was "a scapegoat." However,
>he accepted responsibility for the specific actions to which he
>pleaded and served a sentence of 24 months, during which he tutored
>GED classes in math and language skills. Despite many erroneous
>press reports to the contrary, he had no involvement in insider
>trading or the savings and loan crisis. Upon his release, columnist
>George Gilder wrote, "The entire case against him has collapsed."
>Ethicist Norman Barry said the case involved "trivial offenses" and
>was "an affront to the rule of law." Cornell law professor Jonathan
>Macey called it "the vengeful response by America's business and
>regulatory establishment to Mr. Milken's phenomenal success." A
>detailed analysis of the Milken case can be found in the book,
>Payback, by Daniel Fischel, the dean of the University of Chicago
>Law School.

Back from MM to NN:

>It may be true that getting Milken serves as a form of ideological
>justification for the system, as every prosecution of "bad apples" does, but
>I shed no tears for Milken as a person. There are literally millions of
>minor drug crimes that I would pardon long before I would see Milken
>qualifying for a pardon in the queue.

You should know that I agree with this entirely. I think the drug war is an abomination. And in the piece, I said I wanted Peltier sprung too, which I'm guessing you agree with.

Doug