FC: Microsoft websites blacked out -- but what happened?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Jan 24 16:16:46 PST 2001

At 06:25 PM 1/24/01 -0500, Marco Anglesio wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, kelley wrote:
>
> > i didn't write that, declan mccullagh did. we discovered it last night,
> > around 1 a.m. e.s.t. slate was down.
>
>Slate was down here (at my office) all day. So, rather than reading slate
>and surfing the net all day, I had to go to meetings, help people out,
>write code. What a horrible fate.

well, some of us actually have to read and surf and write all day. that info is then used to help people. is that okay with you? you can write code all day long, but if the user gets social engineered into giving her password out or opening a Trojaned email, then all the firewalls in the world don't help anyone

> > nameserver DDoS. dunno. i'm inclined, since that's the boss's thang. i
> > don't know why declan things they're physically close together. it
>
>It's the way subnets are broken down. X.X.X.18...21 have to be on the same
>logical subnet; there's no way to route to them otherwise (think of the
>dotted-quad notation as a physical representation of their binary values -
>the individual machine address basically needs to fit like a key to the
>network it exists on).

i think you completely misread or misunderstood what i wrote and what declan wrote.

kelley